Sunday 8 June 2014

Audiobook Review: Skeletons in the Closet by Jennifer L Hart

Maggie Phillips is your run of the mill housewife. She's a stay-at-home mom to two adventurous boys and wife to ex-Navy SEAL and all-around hunk, Neil. Apart from her disastrous in-laws she has a great life. That is until her best friend volunteers her to clean the mansion of the new neighbours. Douglass Kline is creepy and his wife, Alessandra,... well let's just say she gets around!! All goes well until Alessandra ends up dead and Douglass looks like the number one suspect. With friend, Sylvia, egging her on to dress in black and investigate, the pair give it a go at sleuthing!

I love funny cozy mysteries! I'm a huge fan of the zany antics of Stephanie Plum (as published by Janet Evanovich) and along with a good mystery, I love a mystery that keeps me giggling as well. The Misadventures of the Laundry Hag: Skeletons in the Closet definitely falls under the zany and funny category. I laughed and laughed at all the antics that Maggie and Sylvie get up to. For example, who knew that when you go in the middle of the night to investigate a suspect's house, that you will get held up by the suspect's elderly mother and rip your pants open and end up in jail! Yes this happens to Maggie. She's a walking disaster and her antics sure made for more than just a few giggles.

The mystery itself was very good. While Douglass is very creepy with the torture devices he keeps around for show, he is also very hapless and it's clear he isn't guilty of murder. This left me with many suspects and trying to figure out who killed Alessandra before Maggie.

There is a great cast of characters in this first book in this series. I really enjoyed the relationship Maggie and Neil have, and it's refreshing to have a sleuth that has a husband a family, as many that I've read lately have been single. Together with the unpredictable brother, Marty, I know the characters are definitely going to have me coming back for more. I need to know what kind of trouble Maggie is going to get up to next!!

I listened to Skeletons in the Closet as an audiobook with the narration provided by Suzanne Cerreta. This was my first time listening to Suzanne and I definitely will listen again. She provides the perfect voice for Maggie and I liked how you can hear the laughter in her voice, at all of Maggie's misadventures!

If you're looking for a fun audiobook for a car trip I recommend giving The Misadventures of a Laundry Hag: Skeletons in the Closet a go. At just six hours, it is the perfect length for car trips and it will keep you laughing and recalling Maggie's adventures with a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment